Knitting While Driving! It is possible!

I know most of us have learned to bring our knitting with us when we go to appointments, etc. where we know we will be spending some time waiting. We have learned to put that waiting time into productive use.

It is possible to knit/crochet while driving! However, there are rules that must be followed to keep out of trouble with the traffic cops!

Why? How many times have you been driving along and then wham! You're stuck in a parking lot. Traffic is not moving. Everything is at a standstill. Now all these happen for various reasons: road work, accidents(#1), whatever. So, instead of sitting there, aggravated, blaring your horn at other drivers who are most likely feeling the same way you do, so why not take advantage of this stand still time by working on your knitting/crochet project?

Turn wasted time into productive time!

However, like I mentioned above, there are some "rules" to make this a pleasant experience for you and all around you.

1) BE AWARE OF THE TRAFFIC AROUND YOU AT ALL TIMES!

2) Your project should be a simple mindless brainless project. Something you can put down in the middle of a row, mid stitch if you have to. Stockinette stitch, garter stitch, or some pattern you've done so many times you can do it in your sleep.

3) Do not even think about knitting/crocheting if your car is moving faster than 5 mph!

4) If there are alot of long red lights in your commute, red lights = knitting time.

5) Oh! consider using circular needles for your knitting projects to avoid the dropped needle syndrome.


As I've been inching down the highways, I usually manage to knit a stitch or two (sometimes more) before I have to move the car forward. Once I pick up the knitting, I tend to hold it in one hand to save time and be able to knit that extra stitch. So the pattern is like this:

Car stops . Pick up Knitting. Knit one or two stitches. Move car forward. Lather, Rinse. repeat.

Like Murphy's Law, I have found many times, while holding the knitting, traffic suddenly opens up and cars begin to move smoothly and return to normal.

Other times, well, let's say I got alot more done that just a few stitches at a time.

One traffic jam I got over 2" stockinette stitch completed on a wine cozy.
Just the other morning, I got over 3 rows crocheted on a hat I'm working on for my nephew.

Stitch by stitch we bring our projects closer to completion. Keeping us saner, calmer, and better drivers!

Comments

Steph said…
I do this, and refer to my car project(s) as traffic jam insurance.

The other time I avoid crafting while stopped is when I'm the first car at a light, waiting, unless it's something I don't have to even remotely look at to craft.

Popular posts from this blog

C3 Challenge Mid-month(ish) Update

Getting Ready for 2014

Memorial Weekend Fun!